The next time you’re kids want to have fun in the snow, try making a magical snow garden! It’s so easy to set up and kids of all ages will love making different floral arrangements in the snow. The flowers look so beautiful against the white snow and make a really fun and colorful outdoor decoration!
This is one of those SIMPLE activities that you will return to over and over again! It’s the perfect outdoor center for a nature preschool or screen-free activity for home.
It was fun to show my kids that with just a dash of creativity, you can make a flower garden in the middle of winter!
Ready to create a magical snow garden? Here’s what you’ll need….
- Artificial flowers– We got ours from the Dollar Store. You can also find them in craft stores. I cut the stems from the bunch so they were individual flowers. You might want to add Duct Tape to the bottom of the stems if the wire is exposed.
- Flower pots
- Garden Tool Set
This post contains Affiliate links for your convenience.
RELATED: Check out Our Favorite Seasonal Nature Activity!
Here’s What We Did:
I set out the flower pots and garden shovels on our tree stumps. My boys loved filling up the flower pots with snow! It was the perfect alternative to dirt:)
Shoveling the snow in the pots is great hand-eye coordination practice!
Leo preferred the scooping method! He just put his flower pot right in the snow and scooped it up.
This kept them busy for a long time and they were having so much fun in the snow! They also loved patting down the snow into the pots. I knew this activity was a hit when they kept saying, “this is the best snow activity!”
Once all of the flower pots were filled with snow, I set out the artificial flowers. I put them on the ground by the tree stumps and they started “planting” their flowers right away!
Before I knew it, the snow gardens were complete. My oldest liked rearranging the flowers in different ways.
They looked so pretty when finished and added a some beautiful color to our yard!
We ended up moving them and they look so nice lined up against our house!
Here are so more ideas for flower play in the winter.
- Make a flower field in the snow. Kids can just stick flowers right in the snow! No pots or shovels needed.
- Stick the flowers in the snow before the kids get outside and have them make bouquets of specific colors or amounts.
- Stick the flowers in the snow around your yard and have kids find them all.
- Make snow castles with the flower pots and stick the flowers in the castles. So pretty!
Have fun and whatever activity you choose, it will certainly put a smile on your kids’ faces:)
Pin this activity to save it for later!
I hope you give this activity a try and have some fun in the snow! I promise, your little nature lovers will love it as much as my boys.